Friday, July 17, 2009

Ames Trip

I just returned from Ames where I helped my niece and husband finish painting the inside of their new house (or new to them) and unpack the many boxes. He just finished with the Air Force and is an OB-GYN Dr. I enjoyed working and helping family. It reminded me of days gone by where my parents went to help my aunt and uncle when they moved. It was family helping family--thereby making what some might view as undesireable activity to an enjoying time simply because it is done together--this doesn't seem to happen much anymore with families so spread across the US. We grew up with all aunts and uncles around us--that no longer exists. So even though I was doing physical work--it will be a good memory just because I spent more time with my family.

Do you agree that families are spread far and wide these days in comparison with days gone by? What changes does this bring into our lives?

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree. We are all living further apart on the globe but have a new closeness of communication. The world actually seems smaller than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have moved further apart from our families, but technology has allowed us to stay in contact with family better and quicker. Using the computer to not only talk to, but also to see is fantastic.
    We do have to reach out to friends to bring about the closeness that families once supplied. We have close friends from church that are probaly closer than family in many ways. Being with others that have interests or beliefs that are like ours is a way to make a family away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two family members that live away from the area. I have a brother that lives in Georgia and I don't want his children to grow up without knowing who I am so we try to visit at least once a year. Technology does help. My brother sends text messages, pictures and videos of his children from his cell phone. It is amazing to get pictures of Kindergarten graduation as it happens! The first time he sent me a video, I thought it was a blurry picture. When I looked again I saw that I needed to click on play. My sister lives in Germany so we try to email--we should probably look into using Skypes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only one of my six siblings has moved away--my youngest sister lives in Missouri. Actually, only one of my nephews has moved. He's in Seattle. I have another one getting ready to head for Florida. I like having everyone close--but times are changing.

    ReplyDelete